THE FORMER DALLAS PUBLIC LIBRARY BUILDING AT 1954 COMMERCE STREET IN DALLAS CITY CENTER
Ricchi 1954 Development LLC is currently developing the historic old Dallas Central Library located at 1954 Commerce Street in the Dallas City Center area in Downtown Dallas, Texas. The old Dallas Central Library was designed by noted architect George Dahl as the replacement library for the former Carnegie Library that had been donated to the City of Dallas in 1902 on the same site.
The Old Dallas Central Library building was built in 1955 as a four story structure with two sublevels, including a 200 seat amphitheater. The building contains approximately 120,000 square feet.
Sandwiched between The Municipal Building/Courthouse where Lee Harvey Oswald was assassinated to the northeast and the first Statler Hilton Hotel to the west, the Old Dallas Central Library sits in the Harwood Historic District facing the beautiful new Main Street Gardens. The Old Dallas Central Library utilizes a solid steel column and beam structural system with a horizontal look, crisp lines, and a prominent roof overhang. The second and third floors are cantilevered over the ground floor creating a well-lighted interior complete with a double level mezzanine and a large upper level outdoor patio.
This great property, with its very unique design and historic setting, is an incredible site for a single tenant office building, library, boutique hotel, or even a multi retail project. The Old Dallas Central Library building is located in Dallas City Center, a 22 block area that is one of the most active redevelopment areas in the United States. In the Dallas City Center area, fourteen buildings are currently being redeveloped by local Stakeholders, the City of Dallas, the Downtown Dallas TIF, and several different developers in a major public/private partnership effort. Dallas City Center is becoming a 24/7, thriving, living, working, playing area, complete with many restaurants, office buildings, retail stores, and hotels. (See www.downtowndallas360.com) The McKinney Avenue Trolley system will also be coming done Main Street adjacent to Main Street Gardens.
Adjacent to the Old Dallas Central Library to the west is the former original Statler Hilton Hotel, which was once the largest hotel west of the Mississippi when it served as Dallas’ convention center hotel. The Ricchi Group also owns the original Statler Hilton Hotel and is currently restoring “The Grand Dame” of Downtown Dallas to its original grandeur.
The Old Dallas Central Library Building qualifies for federal historic federal income tax credits and for rehabilitation grants from Downtown Dallas’ Tax Increment Financing District. Ricchi 1954 Development is proud to be restoring a significant part of Downtown Dallas’ heart and soul in Dallas City Center and will entertain the prospect of several different types of uses for the beautiful Old Dallas Central Library.