Past projects / THE FORMER DALLAS PUBLIC LIBRARY
THE FORMER DALLAS PUBLIC LIBRARY
Ricchi 1954 Development LLC acquired the historic old Dallas Central Library located at 1954 Commerce Street in the Dallas City Center area in Downtown Dallas, Texas. The old Dallas Central Library was designed by noted architect George Dahl to replace the former Carnegie Library that had been donated to the city of Dallas in 1902.
The Old Dallas Central Library was built in 1955 as a four story structure with two sublevels, including a 200 seat amphitheater. The building is approximately 120,000 square feet.
Sandwiched between The Municipal Building/Courthouse to the northeast and the first Statler Hilton Hotel to the west, the Old Dallas Central Library sits in the Harwood Historic District facing the beautiful new Main Street Gardens. The Old Dallas Central Library utilizes a solid steel column and beam structural system with a horizontal look, crisp lines, and a prominent roof overhang. The second and third floors are cantilevered over the ground floor creating a well-lit interior complete with a double level mezzanine and a large upper level outdoor patio. It was sold in 2014.